NHS North West
Building Learning and Development Programme (BLaDe)
NHS North West wanted to provide a development programme for Learning & Development (L&D) leaders to enhance their capability to lead high performing L&D functions and develop learning organisations.
The development programme intended to address specific areas of development identified by the L&D leaders community (the 10 themes) and also enable participants to address development needs arising out of self-assessments based on the Building Learning & Development Competency Framework undertaken prior to participation.
Based on the 10 themes identified for inclusion in the programme, the sessions were a mix of masterclasses and action learning sets. The masterclasses were based on the following topics:
- Leading with Business Acumen
- Delivering with Strategic Purpose
- Delivering Performance, Quality and Effectiveness
- Leading the Team
- Maximising Personal Impact, Credibility and Presence.
The programme was supported by the Prospect Virtual Learning Platform. The platform was used for distributing masterclass materials and also discussion forums.
All our masterclasses evaluated well, and participants felt they gained further and valuable understanding as a result of the masterclasses.
Participants have also produced work-based case studies to reflect their application of programme learning to a work-based challenge, areas included:
- The design and implementation of a Learning Needs Analysis process
- Introducing Coaching as a managementand leadership tool
- Development of a Ward Manager programme
- Looking at the Business Acumen within a Learning Development team
- The design of an induction programme for new staff.