System Leadership in Action
Leading and Learning Together, Improving services for Children and Families
Health Education North West commissioned Prospect to facilitate a North West leadership programme for Health Visiting and School Nursing service managers and team leaders to support managers in their role to implement A call for Action.
The leadership programme was for 75 delegates and was a one-year programme consisting of the following components:
- Launch workshop-
- 10 master classes
- 4 action learning sets and projects
- Celebration and share event.
The aim of the programme was to:
- Create a pool of leaders that will champion the role and function of health protection
- Identify system wide improvements and creating local action plans to support changes required within “A call for Action”implementation plan
- Build on and develop leadership development in participants
- Develop a cohort of system wide leaders (champions) to enable the service and system redesign required as part of “A call for Action”.
"I am really delighted to recommend Prospect as a great company to engage with for healthcare leadership. Their knowledge of NHS and public sector is of a high standard.
I was impressed by their work ethos and their commitment to provide the best product and service.”
Jacky Knapman, Programme Director, Integrated Workforce Unit, Health Education North West.
Independent evaluation showed:
- 100% of delegates would recommend theprogramme
- 90-95% delegates cited increased confidence in their role of leading teams and change (structures and practice), challenging current practice of team members and implementing change.
- 99% delegates spoke about the increased evidence of leading and supporting staff through processes of change and positively influencing team members in working with organisational changes
- 10 regional wide projects supported changes inservices for children and families
- 91% delegates reported increased confidence in presenting ideas /change and facilitating discussions with partners, management and Commissioners
- 90% delegates growth in resilience
- 100% insight into their impact and presence as a leader
- Over 90% learnt key business skills they can use in teams and/or with commissioners
- Over 90% reported that attending the programme has/will
help them in their current and future roles
- 100% of delegates felt they would use the skills developed in future roles.
What our participants said:
The programme was one of the best programmes I have ever been on.”
"The programme included a variety of theories and application to the workplace - excellent!"
I have used influencing and negotiation effectively in a number of ways, within my team and also strategically with commissioners.“
I now have a toolkit of skills, knowledge and practical tools."
What the managers said:
"I’d like to send all my current and future leaders, including some Band 6s. Is there a waiting list yet!"
“(Shows) a calm confidence and authority in presenting their case to team and partners."
“I see a definite difference in the leadership from those who have been on the course. They are more focused and s tep back to develop and use a structured plan for action."
Due to the high success of this programme, Prospect was commissioned for a second cohort. The Prospect team and delegates have been asked to speak at conferences about the success of the programme.